Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Hillside Ruffle


This is "A Little Ruffle"(or Its All About the Scarf) a free pattern found here.  I spied a sample of this at Close Knit on NE Alberta and although I was there to buy yarn for a different project, I couldn't leave without the pattern and yarn they used for it - Plymouth Earth Hillside Linen, an alpaca/linen blend.  It had a beautiful drape and it just looked so cozy I had to have it. 



I stuck pretty much to the pattern, which was very straightforward and easy.  I liked the construction, working the length of the scarf/shawl first and adding the ruffle at the end.  I felt I moved quite quickly through the body construction, and just had to force myself through the couple inches of ruffle.


 As I have been wearing it I have noticed it does seem to stretch, I guess just because of all of the weight of the yarn.  I don't anticipate that being a problem and may just have to re-block it from time to time.  I'm just kind of sad spring is finally maybe here in Portland, meaning a little less need for something like this.  It's definitely warm!





One complaint I have is that I don't think the directions were all that clear on which stitches to pick up along the edge - I studied several other peoples' to see if, indeed, there was supposed to be a hole created (there is).  I liked this detail it added, but if I make this again (and I'm positive I will) I will probably make it a little less 'ruffly'.







Once I blocked it the yarn got so soft and it did grow in size.  I did find myself pulling out a fair amount of 'vegetable matter' while knitting, but some of it may have been the linen that I just wasn't used to.  Even despite that annoyance, the drape was just so great, as was the coloring, I put in an order for enough to make a sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment