Friday, March 18, 2011

Owlet complete!

I wasn't sure if I would like this, or if it would be a little cheesy.  I was so wrong, its too cute!  I knit the 9 month size with a smaller needle size and a lighter weight yarn, but size-wise it still ended up being about the dimensions of the 9 month.  It also look more yarn than the pattern called for, probably a skein and a half of the vintage, but luckily I always buy more than enough.  There was a tiny color variation in it I noticed after the fact, but I changed skeins about 2 or 3 rows into the owls, so its not noticeable!





This was a really fast knit, I completed it within a week including blocking, weaving in ends, finding 'eyes' and sewing them on.  Close to a personal record actually finishing the knitting AND finishing soon after.




 I used madelinetosh vintage and after blocking, I think it was a good choice.  I was a little concerned I should have picked a heavier weight like the pattern calls for, but vintage was close enough. 




Instead of buttons I used some wooden beads for the eyes.  Because I made such a small size, I just wasn't seeing small enough buttons that didn't look like overkill.
Rolled cuffs are a nice touch.
 


I completed the sweater and after casting off was really uncertain whether the neck hole was wide enough.  I ribbed it back to the beginning of the ribbing and added a button hole.  I think this helped and will make it plenty wide, without much difference in the look.



I'm not sure how well it will hold, but I used three of the beads together instead of a separate button.  It seems to hold when I tug on it a bit, but not sure if as the button hole stretches with time, if that will make these 'buttons' useless.  Hopefully baby will have grown out of it by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment